professional bag cleaning services available.
First, the do NOT's:
- Never put a sleeping bag in a machine with an agitator.
- Never dry clean a sleeping bag. The chemicals are just too harsh.
- Never use harsh detergents.
- Never use any detergent in high quantity.
- Avoid washing with hot temperatures.
- Never dry your bag on a hot setting.
- Never use dryer sheets.
Now, the do's:
- Do use a large capacity front loader. This may mean going to a laundry mat.
- Do spot clean any hard-to-remove stains prior to washing the bag in the machine.
- Do use a gentle liquid fabric softener in the wash.
- Do an extra rinse to make sure all the detergents are rinsed out.
- Do press extra liquid out - don't wring.
Those rules apply regardless of fill type. Tim and I have synthetic-fill bags. Down bags have a couple extra guidelines to follow (like using down soap), but generally - if your cleaning in a delicate way, it will all be okay.
HE detergent in the pre-wash slot. Woolite is really nice to use (I've read), but I've had allergy issues with it in the past.
After the washing is complete, I usually run an extra spin cycle set on gentle or low to get any extra water out.